Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A turn of events?

It's morning January 14th, 2010. To briefly recap where we stand; my mother has no savings account, $107 in checking and her credit card has a balance of $1,200 with $800 available. She's in hospice care and while we don't know how much longer she has, we know it's not much. I have also shown that my brother is under a mountain of debt and he wiped my mom out (financially) to support what I believe is a drug addiction.

I know he can't support his addiction and normal life (mortgage, shopping and bills) on his income alone which now leads to a dilemma (since her money's gone). If all his money goes to drugs, what happens to the bills? If he pays the bills, what happens to his drugs? Here's the answer. He can't pay any bills and he also can't buy all the drugs he needs. So I now have on my hands a guy about to lose electricity, cable TV, etc., and he's going to have some level of withdrawal.

So this morning I start getting text messages from him in which he's laying the groundwork for his next move. He's telling me he's very sick and he thinks his heart is being a problem again (almost died of heart failure June '07). He's thinking of sending my mom to a nursing home.

What he's really saying is he no longer has money to house and feed her and pay for her electricity, cable, etc. He has to get rid of her. I see a couple of problems. Unless hospice can do something quickly, a person doesn't just suddenly pack up and go to a nursing home. Additionally, he's going to have to sell the house or let the bank do it. It all take's time, and I don't think he has time. He somehow has to pay for a nursing home.

I'll have to figure out the different scenarios that could take place and plan for each one.

No comments:

Post a Comment